MySocialBook Review - Facebook Feed Printed as a Book

posted on: January 20, 2014

I think it was just 10 days ago that I came across someone else mentioning MySocialBook.com as a way to print their Facebook feed, and while I was traveling, my own version arrived in the mail.  I had been considering converting my personal digital memories posted online into print for a while, and had even started the process with a few other bookmaking services, but had never finished either because there was an error, it took too much design and layout tweaking, or it just wasn't the right price point for something that was basically just going to be a printed archive.  I may never write an actual book, but I've certainly written enough digital content to fill many books, and I wanted to make sure I could actually preserve it in printed form.

MySocialBook - Printed Book of My Facebook Feed

Once I began the process with MySocialBook, I found it to be so easy that I finished five books in no time, without any frustrations or delays.  They streamlined the process by providing options to print some or as much of your content as you want, organized by date range and by type of content like images vs. status updates.  Include what other people have posted to your wall or not, it's just a quick click to make that design decision.  You can add Facebook photo albums to your books, and you can change your mind over and over again while getting an updated preview of the book along with a count of how many pages your book will be with your current selections.  I ended up removing one post from a book that was going to be a highlight (when it was actually insignificant to me, but had received lots of likes), and changed the cover on a couple others.  It was so easy to make decisions with a new preview just a few clicks away- instead of getting bogged down by this process when trying other services.

MySocialBook - Printed Book of My Facebook Feed

I wanted to print as much as possible and I was able to squeeze my first couple years into one book (2007-2009, 2010-2011) but then my posting of Instagram images picked up big time and it became two books for my adventure year in 2012, and I haven't even printed the rest of 2013 yet because I want to fill as many pages as I can before I order another.  I was less concerned about each book being a specific time period and more concerned that as much of it gets printed as possible.  The books are limited to 500 pages and you can order in softcover or hardcover (for an additional fee).  Based on the number of pages, I went with a softcover book mostly for utilitarian purposes to make it easy and light to store, rather than as something to display or handle often over time.

MySocialBook - Printed Book of My Facebook Feed

The printing and paper quality is decent for the price, but especially for the speed of binding and delivery  (starts at $11 for 25 pages in paperback and up to 500 pages for $168 in hardcover, but follow MySocialBook on Facebook and be notified of 20% or 30% off specials)!  If your images were uploaded with enough resolution and they were sharp to begin with, they will appear in great resolution and sharp in the book.  If they were low resolution, the image will either appear very small, or you'll notice the resolution difference from one image to the next.  

MySocialBook - Printed Book of My Facebook Feed

I only have three very minor "meh" comments about the books (as of this writing, and I'm sure things will change over time):
1. In some ways it uses the old Facebook timeline style of jumping back and forth between columns on a page, and it carries the column on the left of one page to the left of the next page, rather than just continuing into the next column on the same page.  A minor reading annoyance that's easily adjusted to when you figure it out.  
2. Occasionally, an image is cut off on the bottom of the page, showing only the top portion of that image.  The bottom portion of the image doesn't print anywhere, it's just gone.  Since part of my archives are my images, this makes me a little sad, but since it only happens occasionally throughout the book, I'm not completely dissatisfied.  Hopefully they'll figure out how to prevent an image from running off the page soon.
3. The yellow book option with yellow text is slightly difficult to read due to its light color.  I like the yellow cover, but perhaps the yellow text inside could be a darker type of yellow to make it more readable.  If visibility is a concern for you, choose a different color.

Ultimately, I'll still print another book using this same service because the process was so easy and quick to complete.  Now, if MySocialBook could integrate blog feeds as easily as it does Facebook feeds, I'd use it to print my blog as well!

Here are additional images from inside my books:

Yellow Book, yellow text, page of instagram posts include the headings:
MySocialBook - Printed Book of My Facebook Feed

This is what it looks like when many people post "Happy Birthday" comments to your wall:
MySocialBook - Printed Book of My Facebook Feed

A mix of mobile uploads and status updates:
MySocialBook - Printed Book of My Facebook Feed

Status updates only:
MySocialBook - Printed Book of My Facebook Feed

A better view on green of those monthly highlight pages:
MySocialBook - Printed Book of My Facebook Feed

*This is a completely independent review and all books were purchased as a customer without any compensation or free product provided.

4 comments, to add [click here]:

  1. jamie9:27 AM

    thanks for this review! i've been looking forward to reading it since you posted on FB it was coming ;-). I may have to look into this too, as I would like to have all the stuff on FB archived somehow. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH ANN! I've been following you for a long time and THANK YOU SOOOOO much for this! I'm SO overwhelmed with life and haven't made a photo book for my family in 4 years!!!! I'm totally doing this!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you get 2007 to print?? According to their website, they can only go back to 2007. I really wanted to have my college years in there. 2007-2009 atleast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if it pulled ALL of the detail from 2007, or just a compressed version of it, but it did come up when I went to make the book.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Ask Anne All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger