Why Do Wedding Photos Take So Long?

posted on: December 9, 2008

Jennifer & Justin's Winnipeg Wedding

Last week I received an email from a bride who was feeling a little uneasy about the turn around time on her wedding photos. She had been in contact with her photographer but wanted to gain a little more perspective on the matter and asked me if I could help (she had wanted to hire me originally, but I was already booked.) She said that she loved her enagagement photos and even the preview photos that she had seen from her photographer, yet something was still bothering her to make her feel uneasy about the remaining images she hadn't seen yet. I don't feel comfortable sharing her email since it contains sensitive personal information, but she did mention that she had a friend who attended the wedding, took pictures, and put them online the next day- which added to her confusion as to why the remaining images from her professional photographer would take so long. I'm sharing my response here in hopes that it can help other brides understand some of the behind-the-scenes workings of a wedding photographer. (photos from some of my recent weddings, just for fun)

Emily-Aaron-Wedding-16.jpg

Here was my response...
"It sounds like it will be worth the wait! If you absolutely loved what your photographer did for your engagement photos, which are merely a fraction of what you'll receive on the wedding day, than I'm sure you'll love your wedding photos too!! Your friend's photos look great and I can see why he was able to turn them around quickly- because there were so few (44?) and he probably doesn't have a bunch of other weddings and holiday orders to process right now!

Emily-Aaron-Wedding-08.jpg

I know that when I photograph a wedding, I take somewhere in the area of 2500-4000 photos which I end up narrowing down to around 800 (I take lots of duplicates in an attempt to get the absolute perfect moment)!! That's a LOT to go through!! It takes time to find just the right ones, and then after I've found all the right ones, to go through and make sure all the skin tones look good, that all of the exposures are great, and that the colors and contrast are just right. It's pretty easy to whip out 100 photos or less in a day when there weren't many to begin with and they were all taken in similar lighting conditions, but weddings often include a much larger variety of lighting conditions, exposure challenges, and color balancing that needs to happen for them to look good. There are so many times when I long to be shooting film again so that I could just drop the film off at the lab and be done with it!! Now, as digital photographers, we have become the lab, and because we've become the lab, we've also become increasingly perfectionistic about our work and every single image! Just yesterday, I spent an hour and forty minutes to produce 18 images as a "quick preview" for a bride & groom. Can you imagine the time it takes to do 180? 1800?? I know that I spend way more time on my digital images than I ever did with film- but I also think that the quality of my work reflects that extra time versus just letting a machine do all the corrections for me.

Rialto Theatre Wedding

I feel like sometimes it's hard to make a promise for a certain deadline, because it means I have to limit my creative process just to be finished by a certain time, rather than by when I feel like everything is the way I would want it to be. And on a personal note, every time I set a deadline, I then run into some kind of problem- as if fate is just mocking me for setting deadlines in the first place. It's quite ironic actually because it happens practically EVERY time, without fail, even if I try to compensate by giving a longer timeline. When things go wrong, all I can do is try to be as open and forthright as possible about what's happening and what I'm doing to remedy the situation. It would be nice if things always worked smoothly, the way we expect them to, but fate loves to make a fool of expectations.

Jennifer & Justin's Winnipeg Wedding

It's a great sign that your photographer has been open with you about her process and how much she needs to accomplish before she can start working on your images. It definitely sounds like the pressure of the holidays, maybe some pressure from parents, paired with some unpleasant wedding day experiences have wreaked havoc on your emotions about the final outcome. After my wedding day, I know I was on pins and needles until I saw all of my wedding photos- and I didn't really even have anything go wrong!! There were so many what-ifs running around in my head - like, did they get this or that? Did I look OK? Did everything turn out? What could possibly be taking so long? Is there something I don't know about? And honestly- my anxiety just continued to grow until I was able to see everything!! Once I saw everything, I felt so much better and I realized that a lot of the anxieties I had were merely related to other things I was holding onto that weren't necessarily related to the photos themselves- most of it was just other stuff rattling around in my head and I wasn't really able to crystalize that until I saw that everything was OK with the photos.

Mary & Jarod Chaldean Cultural Dance

So- I TOTALLY understand what you're going through and as maddening as it seems right now, it's actually a very common feeling which will likely dissipate once you get to see all of your photos. I think you did a great thing by talking to an objective third party about it because it can be disturbing to just let all of those thoughts fester without getting them out somewhere, and it's obvious that you care about your photographer and want to give her the benefit of the doubt! I wish all brides were as understanding as you!"

Are you ready for some post-wedding humor?? I just love this video because this is TOTALLY how I felt after my wedding.... (for the record - I don't think you represent any of these brides, but I think I was all of them wrapped up into one!!!)


Disclaimer: all photographers are different. We all have different processes, which is why we can't assume that everyone will have the same turn around time, or that there's even a "standard" turn around time. Some photographers put their proofs up as unfinished images, some finish all of their images first. Obviously unfinished images are much quicker and easier to get online than hundreds of images that have been tweaked and worked on. Some photographers give their clients 200 images while others give clients 1200 images. Some photographers blog a few images right after the wedding, some blog everything way after the clients have already seen their images (me!) Some photographers have a staff of employees who do all the work for them, while others operate as artisans- crafting each image from start to finish. Some photographers whip through their post production, while others take time on each image. Some photographers give unfinished digital images on disc, some give finished images on disc. Some photographers do all of their own album designs, some hire someone else to do it for them. No photographer is right or wrong, they just have different methods of creating their work, and whatever that process is, we should honor the process that goes into giving us the results we want and have paid for. However, if you're REALLY anxious, please talk to your photographer directly in order to get a sense of where they are in the overall process. It's better to have open communication than to let the mind wander in anxiety!

Mary & Jarod First Dance

It's a delicate balance- trying to be an artist and a business person at the same time. The artist mentally is quite obsessive and perfectionistic. The artist hates being bothered in the middle of being intensely focused because it can ruin a creative streak. The artist wants to simply shut out the world around her so that she can enjoy every little creation as it's being made. The artist works on something until its done, not until the timer has run out. The artist has a lot of pride in her work and would be horrified if it were to be out there unfinished. Yet, we also have to be business people. We have to meet our clients needs and keep them happy, even if it doesn't always give us the freedom to do what makes us happy. We have to set deadlines and meet them no matter what happens or else we lose our client's trust. We have to answer emails and return phone calls in a timely manner so that our clients feel valued and respected. As a business person, we WANT to do all of these things because we care about our clients, and because without our clients support, we wouldn't be able to do what we do!! We love our clients and we want to give them the best of everything. It's just a delicate line we must walk every day, always trying to stay in balance- and sometimes we fall down, but we pick ourselves back up in the hopes that it is our accomplishments, not our failures, which will be the ultimate measure of our success.

Brides, if you have any more questions about wedding photography, please feel free to post them in the comments (you'll be donating food to my local food bank with each post!) Photographers, feel free to add your own thoughts and responses. I'd like this to be an open and friendly conversation about the topic!

More info:
What is Post-Production? Why would I want processed images?
and
Should I get digital negatives from my photographer?

82 comments, to add [click here]:

  1. Anonymous8:58 AM

    Great post Anne. You really covered the whole topic well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:58 AM

    eek I hope it wasn't a client complaining about me. :) I'm so behind its not even funny. I think I set lot deadlines and then they pass me so quickly. do you mind if I quote this on my blog with your name on it? It will help justify my wait time. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Thank you for saying everything that I want to say to every bride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:47 AM

    Definitely another Amen from this corner :) You just summed up everything that we as photographers hope our bride's will understand and be compassionate about. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:57 AM

    I just put a link on my blog to this post because I think you said everything so well.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:13 AM

    OMG, Anne. FYI, that video totally made me LOL. ROFL! (I'm honestly still laughing about it!)

    On a more serious note, you really hit the nail on the head. I think it's great that you take the time to answer so many questions people have and in such depth. You are such an asset to both photographers and future brides!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:13 AM

    Thanks, Anne! Totally going to link to this... rockin' my socks off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely summed it up wonderfully. Luckily there are quite a few of us photographers out there that have been brides at one point, which does help us understand where all the brides are coming from. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post, will be passing this along to my brides for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne this is a great post. Thank you. I'll definitely be posting a link on my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:41 AM

    GREAT post! I've been wanting to write something similar for so long and I love how you approached it. Everything you wrote is SO true. Thanks for writing such an informative and friendly article. I'm sure many brides will breathe a sigh of relief!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:55 AM

    This is perfect! It's a great explanation that makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:57 AM

    You are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:01 PM

    Excellent post - sums in everything we want out clients to know about how we treasure their images enough to get them right before they see them rather than just post them up quickly.

    Will definitely be linking this for our blog visitors to read!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always make lemonade, huh!? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous12:03 PM

    "I feel like sometimes it's hard to make a promise for a certain deadline, because it means I have to limit my creative process just to be finished by a certain time, rather than by when I feel like everything is the way I would want it to be."

    YES!!!! Exactly.

    Just rushed though 1,200 proofs which were delivered about 2 weeks after the wedding, and still not fast enough for our clients probably. Everything in this post is *so* true. Thank you Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  17. THANKS for taking the time to stop by my blog! And thanks for the lovely compliment, I LOVE MY RING and wanted to show the detail. I absolutely adore the theatre pic above, romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks so much for posting this, anne! i don't know where you find all the time to do so much good?! you're like a superhero. or an insomniac ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous12:28 PM

    oh anne how we heart thee! perfectly said. thanks so much for posting :) maybe you can post this up on a brides forum too. maybe this would help more brides understand the process and will put their minds a little more at ease :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Anne for the post! I second ohana's suggestion of making this available on a bride forum/website - maybe as an article in a magazine. Anything we can do to help our clients understand our process and avoid confusion and frustration is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous1:04 PM

    Thanks for the insight, Anne. I love how candid you are about your business. I understand how long it takes to make photos perfect, and it is totally worth the wait.

    But what happens when your photographer refuses to give you your pictures? And other brides too? Are there sources in the wedding photography community that can be contacted so that this won't happen to someone else?

    I would appreciate any help. My photographers have refused to honor our contract, and because of this I have absolutely no wedding pictures. I am about to start litigation against them, but I'm still afraid I won't see any pictures, and I want to prevent this from happening to anyone else, as it has been a horrendous experience for my husband and I.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous1:15 PM

    AWESOME post, Anne..... It can be a tricky and often frustrating thing for couples when there is no industry STANDARD out there. It's up to US as photographers to educate our clients and help them understand our own process.

    And YAY for CANS FOR COMMENTS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous1:50 PM

    Wow - boy did I need to read this post about 2 weeks ago...when I was breathing down your neck for our images! Great, great post Anne. So very informative for us brides who can be somewhat crazy at times! Good stuff, and I should point out that waiting for even another month would be worth the amazing work you do.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anne I am also putting a link to this post on my blog. Well said and thank you so much for taking the time to put this post together. I am positive that almost all photographers are going through this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous2:28 PM

    Excellent Post Anne. As I like to tell my clients, "Good things take time." :)

    I also stress to anyone looking for a photographer to make sure there is something in the contract about turnaround time so there are no misunderstandings.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous2:36 PM

    Anne, you are a gold mine of information and inspiration! This one has a special place in my bookmarks and my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous2:44 PM

    Oh, Anne, if only my clients knew how special their images are to me. Quite often I feel like the are even MORE important to me than my clients. (That is saying a lot since most of my couples are photo-appreciative types. ;) I really REALLY want the images to be the best they can be the first time my clients lay eyes on them. I love it that they are excited, but this stuff (art!) takes time. You put my thoughts into words. Thanks for taking the time. Is it okay to link to this from my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous2:45 PM

    Anne,
    Your work is stunning! I love the B&W ( both) of the brunette bride.
    fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Link away!! I'm happy to share!

    (The only thing I wouldn't be happy about is plagiarism.)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous4:06 PM

    I'm really glad that I asked the question, and happy that this turned into a very informative blog post for other photographers and brides alike. Thank you again, Anne, for your insight!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous4:33 PM

    all my love and respect to one very classy and thoughtful person. from a former welfare recipient who really appreciated those cans and that I don't have to go looking for some right now.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is a very good explanation. Thank you for posting this! :)

    Also. . . "Some photographers have a full-time job and just do it on the side, so there is limited time for photo editing!" ha

    Thanks again for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous5:23 PM

    This is excellent. It needs to be published in every "planning your wedding" book for brides.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous5:59 PM

    This is a GREAT post and an articulate and thorough explanation. You rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous6:05 PM

    Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post this. I am glad you took the time to write such a thought out email to this lady! I am sure it made her feel much better!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Remember that you can always email or contact your photographer for photos if you need them for 'Thank you' notes or for Christmas cards. They are usually more than happy to give a taste so that you can get things done.

    I know my Anne was happy to help us when she took our photos.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous6:44 PM

    Thank you for posting that! I get questioned about time limit ALL the time! And this..."every time I set a deadline, I then run into some kind of problem.." that always happens to me too...and it's usually something like having to get a tooth pulled or something floods in the house, having an out of town family emergency. Awesome work as usual :) !

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love the video Anne! Every time I watch it I am on the floor :)

    Thanks for taking beautiful photos at the Wedding...love ya sis....

    See you at Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Woo! I have been a blog stalker for some time now and am finally taking the plunge in saying thank you for the work that you do. i am really quite a big fan and am JUST starting out myself, this posting on how photographers do things was just great to reinforce that there is no right way, just your way. and just starting out without anyone to mentor me has been rough, but fun all the same. i have learned alot from you, i appreciate the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  40. WOW, Anne, so perfectly worded. I would also like to put this up on my blog...what a great explanation of what a lot of us are going through with timelines, especially at this time of year. Thanks for sharing this with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous10:32 PM

    Anne
    This is such a great post! I am totally going to link to it. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anonymous10:48 PM

    Awesome post! Wish I'd thought of it first but I'm deifintely going to link to this post because it says EVERYTHING I want to say! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anonymous11:37 PM

    It took Courtney a year to get her wedding album, she still loved it cause it was made with care : http://makelovereal.net/wedding-album-delivery/

    ReplyDelete
  44. Anonymous2:07 AM

    Great post on the subject, thank you for writing it! And love that video LOL :D I guess that'll be me in a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Anonymous6:10 AM

    Because I know that brides/grooms get stressed about this issue (and rather selfishly, because I want to blog about each wedding fairly soon after it) I always scan through each wedding to find a couple of shots which I think look pretty good and process these first. Then if the bride or groom are concerned, I'll show those couple of shots as a preview to let them know great photos are coming. To calm your nerves you could ask you photographer to show you a few finished pictures.

    I'll normally also give an estimate of when I should have them done, but add the caveat that it could take longer. I may also tell them who else is ahead of them in my queue, to let them know that another bride is also waiting and she's been waiting a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow. This incredibly thorough post says it all! I will definitely share this with my brides. Thank you so much.

    Love & Soul Always, Kay

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anonymous12:05 PM

    Great post Anne!
    I linked to it on my blog too. I don't think anyone could explain better.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  48. Anonymous3:03 PM

    Awww...we made "the blog". I am soooo honoured! Don't worry I don't expect any images any time soon- take your time and enjoy the holidays ;)
    ~Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  49. Anonymous4:53 PM

    You said it so well! And I must add that I LOVE the photo of the bride and her bridesmaids in purple dresses. What a great moment. Plus, those are the cutest bridesmaid dresses. Anyone know what kind they are? I'm getting married next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Shari - here's what the bride (Emily) had to say about the bridesmaid dresses:
    "The bridesmaids dresses are from a store called Bella Bridesmaid (Awesome store but it isn’t everywhere), they are Priscilla of Boston. I’m not sure what the style is called but they are silk faille in the color Fig. Check out the website and see if you can find them. They don’t look exactly the same on the website! But all my bridesmaids loved them and they were so comfortable! I feel in love with how classic they were! Hope you find them!!
    Emily"

    ReplyDelete
  51. Anonymous5:27 PM

    Thank you, thank you! Some brides don't understand why their friend's photographer posted 1200 photos the night after their wedding and why theirs (me) take at least a month. I have answered more "I was just wondering how much longer/I'm really anxious to see/can you give me a date/what is taking so long/my mom really wants to see" emails than I can bear to count!

    ReplyDelete
  52. excellent post - thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Anonymous4:05 AM

    I think that (prior) Communication and Confirmation is the key.

    It seems to me that many Wedding Photographers do not take the time to confirm that the Client Hears and Understands their Photographer's particular Post Production process; the time line; and the reasons.

    Whilst many Photographer's might mention dates, or generalize regarding expectations, many do not confirm that the reality of a time line, however long or short it is to be, has sunk in.

    WW

    ReplyDelete
  54. Anonymous10:41 AM

    Anne - you are so good with words! Thank you for putting it so clearly and compassionately. Should be a must-read for all brides, even before booking a photographer. Educating clients is so key to a good working relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Anonymous6:04 PM

    That is perfect! I think this is the hardest part of my job... brides always want their pictures sooner than I can humanly deliver! Thank you for posting this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Anonymous4:48 PM

    Anne, thank you so much for taking the time for posting on such a complex topic. I second the idea that this should make it onto some bride chat rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Anonymous10:50 PM

    I'm really glad you posted this before we go into the wedding thing. While I'm really not all that high maintenance to begin with, it helps when I have expectations up front, so now I know not to bother you about a timeline after the wedding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. Anonymous5:07 AM

    Amen Sister! You just summarized my entire life in this post! It is a daily struggle to be an artist and a business woman...thank you for sharing what has been floating in my head. I'm so glad to know that I am not the only one who struggles with the balancing act.

    ReplyDelete
  59. AMEN!!! Very well said!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Anonymous5:03 PM

    Awesome post! Thanks Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Anonymous11:36 AM

    well said! linking it to my blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Thank you so much for posting this, you rock.

    ReplyDelete
  63. This is the absolute best blog i have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Anonymous2:16 PM

    This is possible the best description I have seen on this topic. Thanks for sharing. I always know what to say but just not how to say it. Great job. Your work is beautiful, too.
    BTW - Love the video - classic!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Anonymous3:27 PM

    I remember when I finished processing and editing our first-clients's wedding.. I told the clients to give us a month, and between my husband (we shoot together) and I we took over 4,000 photos.. I also worked full-time at my regular job and almost killed myself to make the deadline... (literally, I slept 2 hours/day or nothing at all...) In my regular job I am an extremely disciplined professional used to meeting deadline nearly every day, but after this experience I promised myself that I will NEVER put a definite deadline on my creative process.. I think as long as there is a good reason for delaying a project and communication is open, there is no need to feel bad about it, we, the artists however, must be honest with our clients and upfront about reasons and possibility of delay.

    ReplyDelete
  66. We got married on June 4th this year (!) and although we've seen the 950 raw proofs online, and chosen the 95 for the album, we still haven't seen the album layout let alone have the finished thing! EVERY DAY I get someone asking me when they can see our photos which is driving me CRAZY!!! I paid him on the day and don't feel like he is communicating with me at all. To be honest, I feel like he doesn't care enough about people to be a wedding photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Anonymous9:44 AM

    why do you take so many images at a wedding 2500-4000

    ReplyDelete
  68. Anonymous6:44 PM

    Thank you so much for the reassurance. I've been waiting three weeks -- feels excessive, but I'm hearing about people waiting much, much longer, and as long as it's for a good cause ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  69. Anonymous7:40 PM

    Just shot my first wedding and the bride actually asked me if I could bring my laptop and upload the photos after so they could look at them during the reception. I, of course, had an answer about how a lot of work went into each image before it was considered a finished work and that it would be very unprofessional to show unfinished work. Although that wasn't even close to what I wanted to say ;)

    It was less than two weeks ago but I have the feeling that she will be antsy for the images. If you HAD to choose a general timeline what would you say? A month? I have approximately 1800 images to sort through (and edit those that I choose from that).

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  70. Anonymous12:22 PM

    So what is the excuse for the photographer not emailing you to let you know they wont make the deadline? Or not replying to your mails or simply ignoring you.

    We got married 27th August - were told/paid for a two week turnaround. We were going on a 4 week honeymoon so there was no rush for the 2 weeks.(we did ask for a photo for thank you cards) We get back 17th October - no photos; after many voicemails and emails we get told 1st November deadline, that we are behind 8 other weddings to be processed

    Still no photos - still no preview, not that is an offered service here- but we did request a couple of photos so we could make thank you cards; they still havent arrived.

    Following a bit of facebook investigation i can see a couple that got married on April 16th that used him. Our photographer has since that date posted 8 wedding albums (including the facebook couple)- so thats 7/8 weddings processed in 7 months. Is that acceptable? What is the norm?

    A question for the professional photographers, If you have no bookings on a particular date, will you take a booking regardless of how many previous bookings you have and how this impacts your ability to deliver on your agreed deadlines?

    I find it incredibly frustrating and embarressing that we are still waiting on photos particularly to send out thank you cards. I work to tighter deadlines with more important/demanding customers so maybe i have high expectations but i dont think it takes to much time to email someone who has paid you £1500 + £50 free dinner (is it common that the wedding couple buys the photographer a meal because it wasnt mentioned when we booked the photographer?)


    Great photos btw, hope ours turn out half as good

    ReplyDelete
  71. Anonymous12:21 PM

    WOW....all I can say is WOW. Really..someone had to ask if they were to buy their photographer a meal????
    I normally do not eat at weddings (although my brides have begged me to) However, when I show up at 9am to begin the "getting ready" pictures and am still there at 9pm about to pass out from nothing to eat all day & YES photographing a wedding is WORK...it wears you out! Lugging around a 10lb camera and plus all your accessories needed...I can barely walk by the end of the day.
    And does someone book a day that is open if they still have edits to do.... well duh.
    If that is their ONLY source of income, YES.
    It amazes me how people can not understand the time it takes to deliver images. Especially if your photographer shoots in RAW format (which is all I shoot).
    I am just amazed at the inconsiderate people in this world who think it revolves around them & what they feel is their time frame. And do not take into consideration that the photographer they hired, not ONLY took THEIR wedding, but most likely 2000 or more images from a wedding the weekend before, along with that couple that waited till the last minute to take their Engagements (but expect them ready & printed for their wedding less than 2 weeks away)...or the fact that not only do they have just your images to go through, but 6 weddings from the last 6 weeks, and maybe Newborn images, and Senior images, and Maternity images, and Family images (all of which probably have a deadline that they HAVE to be ready by where your wedding is over & does not particularly have a deadline) That photographer I am sure made sure your Bridal, Engagement was done BY your wedding deadline (which in turn probably put them BEHIND on someone elses images).
    If you need a picture to send out thank you cards.....ASK for one. I am SURE you can get it.
    Rather than slime your photographer for taking LONGER than stated...understand that that is an estimated time...They have a family & things to do other than WORK, JUST like you.
    They may have emergencies that come up, They deserve a break for the Holidays to see family JUST like you.
    And if you expect GREAT images it takes TIME.

    Anyone can run home & rush through & slap out some pictures to be ready the next day or next week....
    But if they are are good photographer...an artist...they take pride in EACH image and EACH and EVERY image delivered to the client is hand selected & edited to perfection.
    JS

    ReplyDelete
  72. Anonymous5:38 AM

    I understand everything but it is soooo hard to wait especially when your photographer keeps giving you new times and why one signs the contract where delivery time is 6 weeks and after 10 weeks still no sign of pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  73. Anonymous5:51 PM

    I've been waiting for over 4 months now and even though I am very laid back and not demanding at all, I am starting to feel frustrated. I guess the point is: If you can't have it done within some sort of deadline, just let the bride know, preferably in advance. I was told before signing the contract 2 months and it seemed pretty fast to me, but when I decided to check 3.5 months later I got a response that he is busy and it might take a few more months. I really respect photographers and think they are underpaid and work on a very stressful environment, but at the same time I deserve some respect and to be told the truth or at least something realistic.

    I understand that he is busy, but just like him, I am working 2 jobs (differently from the youtube video), commuting 3h every day and still managing my colleagues expectations so they won't expect more than what I can deliver.

    If you are a professional photographer and you are swamped by events and pictures, take the phone and give your client a call. Assure them that you have a plan and that you are working on your magic to transform their pictures, but please stop hiding and not responding emails or phone calls. Remember that most of your work comes from referrals and if your client is pissed they might leave a bad review or not refer you to friends.

    I just hope I get my pictures soon...

    ReplyDelete
  74. Anonymous6:17 PM

    Thank you I have sent this link to a client to read to help them to understand things a bit better. I love that we all are so positive :) Thanks so much for writing it, and thanks to all that have responded too. I have my contract updated and make sure that I am going over this VERY carefully from now on in hopes of not running into this issue again.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Anonymous9:16 PM

    From a bride's perspective...I agree that open honest communication from a photographer MUST happen. We have tried multiple attempts at communication...all to be ignored. When we are told there will be pictures delivered or a phone call that day...there is nothing. We get all that you say, and agree that great edits make awesome pictures! Just would be nice if more photographers would talk to their clients who paid, return phone calls, etc. Life happens, computers crash, etc etc...but without honest open communication from a photographer then the frustrations rise and the reviews and references go down. Our photographer even lost business due to the ways we have been treated in the past few months. We have tried to be patient...but aren't feeling respected or valued. There seem to be a lot of comments here of photographers saying we brides (or couples) need to be patient and understand your work...but you photographers must communicate with us! Respect goes BOTH ways!

    ReplyDelete
  76. Anonymous1:54 PM

    My question is how long does it take to get a wedding album after you've ordered it? We got married in March, placed an order for our albums a month later... It's now almost September and we haven't seen the photos. Is this normal?

    ReplyDelete
  77. As you can imagine, there are a lot of different factors that go into producing an album. Is it a handmade album? Is it a custom album? Is it already designed? Does ordering it mean it needs to be designed? It doesn't hurt to check in and see where your order is in the process, or if somehow the order slipped through any ordering cracks. Most of the album makers that I work with take between 6-12 weeks. Occasionally I've received an album with an issue, which has required returning and reprinting or rebinding, which has doubled the wait- but I've always let clients know first.

    ReplyDelete
  78. I googled "how long does it take to get your wedding photo's" and came upon this... I am totally the frazzled, paranoid, "what went wrong" kind of bride. This article let me breathe a little easier and move my focus rather than checking my email every two minutes for a link to our photos. Thank you, I am sure my photographer, who will not be receiving an email from me today now, appreciates it. Its only been 2 weeks and 5 days since the wedding... calm down crazy!!! Thanks for the dose of reality! :)

    ReplyDelete
  79. Anonymous9:22 AM

    I understand all that was said and it was said in a quite eloquent way. However, from a brides perspective, we are paying quite a bit of money and are asked to pay this money by a certain deadline in which we all honor.

    We spend time and money on a wedding and for the most part it goes by so quickly that we struggle to remember the whole event and simply want to see pictures to be reminded. Paying this much for something so important and receiving no communication from the photographer is very frustrating. If I tried to tell my boss that I needed more time for my creative process on a job he has already paid me for doing, I would be laughed at and fired.

    I was handed plenty of communication and deadlines when payment was due yet I, as the bride am not allowed to do the same when it comes to my photographs??

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Ask Anne All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger